The Joemeek twinq2 is everything you ever wanted in a dual studio channel - and then some!
Some changes we made to the twinQ2:
- The microphone input transformer is permanently assigned to the "Mic" Input. The "IRON" switch now optionally sends the "Line" input through the transformer, to add some colouration to Line sources.
- The input "GAIN" control now operates over the range 18dB to 60dB, with improved resolution in the crucial 25dB-45dB range. Microphone inputs up to +4dBu can be accommodated without distortion
- (+24dBu by using the "PAD" switch).
- As before, with the "LINE" input selected the gain is unity (0dB) at the top of the dial; the gain range is now -19dB to +22dB.
- The "INSTRument" input now has a gain range of 0dB to +40dB.
- "PEAK" LEDs now light at +16dBu (2dB below Full Scale Digital).
We started with high quality Burr-Brown IC's for the preamp, added an extremely musical EQ section and an optical compressor for that signature "Meek" sound. Then we included some new and innovative features, like an "Iron" switch that switches the IC front end to a transformer - completely changing the topology of the circuit. It even has 24bit, 96k A/D converters built in.
All of this comes housed in a rugged 2u chassis with a beautifully sculpted aluminum faceplate.
With sonic quality rivaling mic pre's priced thousands of dollars more, the twinq2 sets a new standard for dual channels!
The Joemeek Digital Audio Interface provides high quality digital audio outputs plus the ability to synchronize to an external word clock. The digital audio outputs are compatible with most digital recorders, as well as Digital Audio Workstations and mixers. S/PDIF format is available from the RCA phono connectors, while the transformer coupled XLR connector provides an AES3 compatible output.
The Joemeek Digital Interface has highly stable onboard master clocks for low-jitter, hi-fi results. Internal sample rates of 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz or 96kHz are selected by means of rear panel switches. 44.1kHz is the standard used for audio CD's, while 48kHz and 96kHz are widely used in recording studios. In general, the higher the sample rate, the better the audio fidelity, but the more disk space is required for the recording. For example, recording at 96kHz requires twice as much storage as 48kHz. Consult the manual of your recorder or DAW as to what sample rates it will accommodate.
Alternatively the twinq2 may be set to the frequency of an external master word clock, generated, for example, by the studio's recorder or DAW. When connected to the BNC socket provided, a suitable external word clock will be detected automatically and will override the twinq2's internal word clock.
The front panel LED labelled 'EXT CLK' illuminates when the twinq2 is successfully locked to an external word clock. To avoid distortion, care should be taken not to overdrive the input to the Digital Interface. The red LED next to the Output Gain control is labeled "PEAK FSD" which stands for "Full Scale Digital". Occasional flashes are OK but if it is on all the time, turn something down!
- Ultra-clean microphone preamps, designed for high-quality, low-noise performance, and equipped with high-end Cinemag transformers
- IRON switch selects transformer coupling of the Line inputs.
- Full-featured optical compressor with Comp Link for stereo applications
- Large, accurate VU meters; switchable between output level, preamp level, and gain reduction
- 24-Bit/96 kHz analog-to-digital converters feed the AES/EBU, S/PDIF, and Optical digital outputs, allowing connection with external digital gear
- Balanced and unbalanced I/O allow for proper connection with any system
- Front-panel instrument inputs let you plug in high-impedance sources like guitars and basses
- Highly musical 3-Band EQ includes sweepable low and mid frequencies, and selectable high frequencies (6 and 12kHz)
AVShop.ca is a Canadian authorized Joe Meek