Creators have found the H4n to be the most trustworthy field recorder available. Used by videographers, musicians, bloggers, ghost-hunters, podcasters, educators, and journalists everywhere, the ultra-portable H4n's 4 tracks of high quality audio make it an essential audio companion for everyone.
The H4n at a Glance
- Onboard X/Y Mics: High quality with easy to set selectable recording width (90 and 120 degrees)
- 2 XLR/TRS Inputs: Connect mics, instruments, and line level devices for added possibilities
- 24-bit/96kHz Recording: High resolution audio
- Expanded Capabilities: Built-in effects, audio interface mode, and onboard speaker make it the recorder of choice
Great on Location
The H4n's onboard X/Y microphone delivers stunning stereo and its dual input combo connectors allow you to use your choice of external microphones as well.
WAV files recorded with the H4n—up to 24-bit, 96kHz—are automatically time-stamped to ensure perfect sync with your video footage, while built-in multi-effects and MS (Mid-Side) decoding gives you plenty of options in postproduction. With the use of our optional HS-1 Hot Shoe adapter, you can even mount the H4n directly to your camera.
The H4n transforms any rehearsal room into a recording studio. Connect mics and line level devices like electronic keyboards—even electric guitar or bass—and record up to four tracks of digital audio simultaneously, then bounce the tracks down to stereo or mono for additional overdubbing with no loss of quality.
Punch-in features and onboard effects such as compression, limiting, reverb, and guitar and bass amp modeling enable you to quickly and easily turn your musical ideas into full-fledged productions. You can even convert your finished song to an MP3 file for emailing and posting to your favorite social site.
Capture the sound of concerts, rehearsals, meetings, or lectures. The H4n's built-in X/Y microphone allows you to record natural-sounding stereo with a strong center image, and the angle of its two matched unidirectional mic elements can easily be changed from 90 degrees for a tightly focused stereo image to 120 degrees for a wider image. (US Patent 8184815).
In addition, dual combo XLR/TRS input jacks—complete with phantom power—allow you to use a wide variety of external microphones and to connect line-level signals such as a feed from a mixing board.
H4n Inputs and Outputs
Dual XLR/¼" combo input jacks allow you to connect microphones, line-level signals, or even instruments directly into the H4n. Phantom power of +24 or +48 volts can be applied to both inputs, allowing the use of condenser mics. There's also a secondary stereo ⅛" input for the connection of microphones requiring 2.5 volts of Plug-In Power.
A stereo ⅛" Line/Phone Out with dedicated volume control allows private monitoring over headphones as well as connection to the audio input of your DSLR—the H4n even has a built-in speaker for fast monophonic monitoring without the need to make any connections. In addition, a USB port allows recorded audio to be sent your favorite DAW and/or editing software and enables the H4n to act as a 2-in/2-out computer interface.
Pre-Record and Auto-Record
The H4n's Pre-record function ensures that you'll never miss the start of a great take. It automatically keeps the H4n silently but continuously recording in the background, all the time, keeping the previous two seconds* of audio whenever you hit RECORD.
*One second when recording at 96k in 4CH mode.
When enabled, Auto Record sets the H4n to automatically starts recording at a level of sound. An equivalent Stop function can be used to end recording as soon as incoming signal drops below a certain threshold.
Effects can make all the difference. They make your recordings sound professional and polished, and can be used both to enhance audio and to compensate for acoustic problems in the recording environment.
The H4n offers a variety of effects, ranging from compression and limiting to reverb, delay, echo, and a low-cut filter for the elimination of wind noise, pops and other kinds of unwanted low frequency noise. There's also an onboard metronome and tuner, along with dozens of effects crafted especially for guitar and bass, such as amp models. In addition, playback can be looped and the playback speed varied without pitch change (or vice versa), making the H4n perfect for phrase training.
Audio recorded with the H4n is stored in your choice of WAV or MP3 format. WAV files are uncompressed and full fidelity, and thus provide optimum quality. The H4n provides support for 16 and 24-bit WAV audio at sampling rates of 44.1, 48, or 96kHz. In addition, H4n WAV files are automatically time-stamped, making them Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) compliant, allowing precise synchronization in post-production.
MP3 recordings are compressed, removing unnecessary data so that they require less storage space and are easier to upload and download.
The H4n requires just 2 AA batteries—either alkaline or rechargeable NiMH. Battery life when using alkaline batteries is up to 6 hours in normal operation, or up to 11 hours when operating in STAMINA mode. Alternatively, an optional AD-14 AC adapter allows the H4n to be powered from any standard wall outlet.
The H4n records directly to SD and SDHC cards, up to 32 gigabytes. The charts below show maximum recording times for different file types and card sizes.
*Recording times are approximations. Actual times may differ according to recording conditions.
*The maximum file size is limited to 2GB.
Using the H4n as an Audio Interface
A built-in USB port allows the H4n to serve as a 2-input / 2-output audio interface for any PC or Mac computer. Simply launch your favorite DAW or use the supplied Cubase LE software download, and start creating—you can even apply onboard effects to live incoming signal.*
*When operating at a 44.1k sampling rate.
State of the art editing with every recorder
The Zoom H4nSP comes with free download licenses for Sternberg’s Cubase LE music production software and WaveLab LE audio editing software, providing not just the ability to capture superior audio in every box, but to do spectacular things with it.
Whether you wish to create your own music utilizing the Handy Recorder’s USB audio interface function or take your recordings to a more professional level, Steinberg’s powerful and state-of-the-art audio software used by creators around the world now comes with every Zoom Handy Recorder purchase.
Currently shipping with:
- Cubase LE7 for Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 and Windows 7/8
- Wavelab LE8 for Mac OS X 10.7, 19.8 and Windows 7/8
Features at a Glance
- Includes H4n Handy Recorder, protective case, two AA batteries, owners manual, and download license for Steinberg Cubase LE and WaveLab LE software
- Four-track simultaneous recording
- Built-in X/Y stereo mic, adjustable between 90˚ and 120˚
- Onboard MS decoding
- Dual mic/line/instrument level inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Stereo ⅛" Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- +24 or +48V phantom power for main inputs and Plug-in power (2.5V) via Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- Output/headphone jack with dedicated volume control
- Built-in reference speaker for fast monitoring
- Large 1.9 inch backlit LCD display
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB
- Supports up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Auto-record and Pre-record features
- Internal mixdown: four-track to stereo and stereo to dual mono
- Up to 99 marks per recording
- Flexible overdubbing and punch-in/out
- Built-in effects, including compression/limiting, low-cut filtering, modulation, reverb/delay and amp models
- Normalize (maximum gain) and Divide (file splitting) functions
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Loop playback with user-defined start and stop points
- Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150%, without affecting pitch
- Variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- USB port for data exchange to and from computer
- 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for PC/Mac computers
- SD card reader function
- Mounts to mic stand or tripod, or directly to DSLR with optional Hot Shoe adapter
- Runs on only 2 standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Up to 6 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries (up to11 hours in Stamina mode)
What's included with the H4nSP
- H4n Handy Recorder
- Protective case
- 2 AA batteries
- Operation manual
- Download license for Steinberg Cubase LE and WaveLab LE software
Optional H4nSP accessories
- AD-14 AC adapter
- Hairy windscreen
- MA2 mic clip adapter
- RC4 wired remote control
- HS-1 Hot Shoe Mount Adapter
AVShop.ca is a Canadian authorized Zoom